Friday, April 09, 2010

Meal-in-a-muffin

I saved the original recipe from a copy of Real Simple Magazine.
Here's the original called Zucchini Pie.

But it's the change to a muffin where it really shines. I call it my Meal in a muffin of Leftovers.

Change the 3 cups of grated zucchini to 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini and 1 1/2 cups leftover meat of any kind (rotisserie chicken, taco hamburger meat, cooked ham, deli ham, - basically any left over meat, in any combination)

Change the directions to:
Preheat oven to 350. Combine zucchini, leftover cooked meats (diced very small is best), chopped onion, 1 cup of grated mixture of whatever cheese you have on hand - the sharper the better, 3 tbsp of grated parmesan, either fresh basil or 1 tsp pesto. Mix together to combine.
Sift in the flour, salt, pepper and heaping tsp baking powder.
Mix to combine well.
Then beat the veg oil and eggs together and pour over the zucchini and flour mixture and mix to combine the whole thing. Don't over mix, but mix it all well. It will seem really gloppy and on the thick side. I usually have more than the 1 cup of cheese. And I sometimes have a little bit more than the 1 1/2 cups of meat because I usually have more than one kind of meat, that's why the HEAPING tsp of baking powder is important. I like to throw in a 1/2 pepperoni stick into the food processor and pulse to fine. This usually adds a nice flavour. It's the mixture of meat that is key to flavour. If I don't have anything but leftover cooked chicken I usually throw in whatever coldcuts I have on hand like honey ham, and pepperoni into the food processor.
The next important part of the process is that you MUST have a silicone muffin tin.
Fill the muffin tin with a scoop ( but do not over fill) and bake the muffins until they are browned. You may think they are overcooked, but trust me - very brown is best. You can eat them with a salad after cooling slightly, but the best, the VERY BEST is the next day after they have cooled and the zucchini and meat mixture and cheese all combine and wow. It's just the best taste. And kids LOVE them. They are great in the car on the way to whatever place you are going, soccer, swimming etc. But I just love them all day long. I specially like that I can rip of a piece and give it to my grandkids who never let me eat anything without sharing. They last in the fridge - i usually just put 4 into a sandwich bag. But the trick is to use a silicone muffin pan, because they will brown and not stick. I've tried in a regular pan with muffin papers, but trust me, use silicone. Ohh and sprinkle the other 1 tbsp parmesan over each muffin before throwing into the over, but I usually forget that part, I don't know why but I usually do.
I can't say for sure how long you bake them, because each time is different but usually around half hour at least, to 40 min.

No comments: