Sunday, September 30, 2012

Roasted Tomato Soup


On Thursday I met my daughter for lunch and the beer (grapefruit beer) was good, the salad was greek, the steak sandwich (hers) was too rare (in light of the ecoli meat packer plant shut down---should have been returned), the lobster roll was soggy and had no flavor....but the soup was to die for.

Its Sunday and it's all I can do not to think about that soup.  And I rarely order the soup, I don't know why I did this time, but it was soooo good.   I'm thinking of phoneing them to get the recipe or if nothing else just the ingredient list.  I tried.....but failed to duplicate it











I roasted two batches of seeded mixed heirloom tomatoes, the second batch almost burned but it was roasted nicer than the first batch.  After putting both batches through a food mill.

I tasted it...too sweat for my liking so I added about a tsp apple cider vinegar.  I don't know why, but that's the first thing I saw when I opened the cupboard ( (already added some balsamic between the milling of both batches.) I also stuck a few basil leaves between the tomatoes in the second batch.
I added a shot of cumin and corriander, again....cause I spotted it when I opened the cupboard.  And also I just spent about $50 refreshing my spices, so I figured why not. (just as I'm sitting here writing this, I'm thinking maybe I should add a pinch of curry paste)

But nothing was really improving it..I should add, that I also added about 3/4 of a carton of veg stock cause it was just too thick, and also somewhere during the whole process I also wizzed it with an imertion blender.

Nothing was really working ....it just didn't taste the same - tooooo tomatoey hmmm.
I was talking with my mother after I finished all the clean up and she suggested some bragg's , but since I don't use the stuff, I added a shot of soya sauce.  That and a shot of lemon juice.
By now I couldn't duplicate what I added to this sorry ass excuse of a soup if I wanted to. I poured it off into a jar and it is currently sitting in the fridge waiting for some intervention.
It's still way too tomatoeyyyy, maybe I will purchase some more veg stock and thin it out.  Maybe I should buy some bragg's

I gave some to my husband for a late dinner and he "raved" about it.  I don't know what's wrong with his taste buds, but clearly something is wrong with him.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant...And since we paid cash there's no record of the name anywhere....

Maybe I will just have to drive down and have another bowl of....

No comments: