Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthday party

Ellise's 2nd birthday party




I just love this cake. It was chocolate and very good. The quilt was a last minute idea. The party was Thursday and I finally decided on Wednesday what I was going to attempt. I believe it was around 10 PM. I cut out the flannel pieces from scraps and sewed them together, with much trouble. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my friggin machine. The tension was so screwed up. Nothing worked, so I finally gave up and went to bed around 1 am. I woke up around 5:30 (a wrong number on the phone) but since I had "things" to do I got up anyway. I made coffee trudged down the basement stairs and had another go. Well it must have been the coffee or something but I finally figured out that I had to take the machine apart and clean it. You see I've been sewing alot of flannel (with two babies in 10 months, what else would I be sewing) and the gunk and broken thread iin the bobbin thingamagig was amazing. We;ll after much tweezer use and blowing everything finally came out and the sewing resumed. After I finished (the back is a lime green polka dot, really cute) I had alot of regret in giving the "baby doll blanket" away. I had some squares leftover from the first attempt of cutting 0out the squares so I made a small pillow. I was really pleased at how it all turned out. And the birthday girl seemed to appreciate it, by dragging it around. So now I have to make one for my own granddaughter.
But the cake, what can I say it was great. Should have been larger so some of us could have taken pieces of it home. I mean how often are there no leftover birthday cake pieces to unload on the guests.

No comments: