Saturday, August 25, 2012

Getting off my ### ass

It all started last Friday.....I decided to take the g'kids somewhere different.

I call these, the stairs from hell.
Way back when.....about 7 yrs ago I would use these stairs to come home after an 8hr shift...standing up on my feet all day....then up these stairs and 5 km walk home.

I did it....
So I figured....I should give it a go again

Well the kids made it up, running
My lungs exploded not even half way up.  I was so exhausted by the time i got up to the top, I had to calm down for about 1/2 hr.

It was way easier to go down, that's for sure

So after the stairs, we decided to check out the river valley on their bikes, and me running after them, screaming wait, wait, wait.....

It was a beautiful day, and I've forgotten how gorgeous the valley really is, since the new foot bridge went in, the city is going all out on spending money on the area to spruce it up.  And they are doing a bang up job

 

 
That was Friday, the kids went home.....and I got it into my head to get on my bike and copy everyone else I saw on friday....and ride around the river bank.  Why not? They all seemed to be having a time of it.
 
So Saturday morning I jumped on the bike, rode around the neighborhood, came back and had to grease up several points, tighten things. After all, the last time anyone rode this thing was probably 5 yrs ago.
 
Then in a crazy fit of "i can do this", "I should get of my butt"....the bike went into the back of the van and away we went.
 
I put on the helmet
Sunglasses, oooops nowhere for the water bottle....darn, oh well should have brought a small pack or something, but too late now.

I am so thankful the bike path is somewhat level, cause otherwise I don't know what would have become of me.  I kept going farther and farther away from the parking lot, then I crossed the river and came back completely the other way...which of coarse I had no choice but to keep going because by now there was only one way back.

And water, water, water....everywhere except some to drink.

When I got back I drove part of the route just to get an idea of mileage, and I had to get home someway or other.  After sitting in crappy traffic along the route I surmised that I went about 25-30 km.  No wonder my ass was so sore.

I was kinda surprised I was able to get out of bed the next morning.  Sunday I gave my butt a rest and drove down to the river valley again, and walked up and down the stairs again, then walked around the gorge
That was enough for me for the weekend.
Come Monday all the energy I had was a walk to the library prob 1km ...if that, but I did shlep a heavy bag of books both ways. And I did stop and watch a bunch of kids doing the "wall"

Someday....I would like to give that a go

Tuesday I drove to my clients....I was sorta thinking I would get my husband to drive me down and I would walk back....and take transit if that didn't work out, cause there are several buses etc I could have taken, but then the weather report said something about late afternoon thundershowers, so I scrapped that idea and just went to work.  No thunderstorms, no rain....felt cheated.

So wednesday I stuck the bike into the back of the van and drove half way to work and biked the rest of the way.  Even though the weather report said the same thing, I decided to chance it.  I didn't realize my ass was still so sore.  It almost killed me, and then all I could think of .... have to ride back to the van.

Wednesday and Thursday I had the kiddies again and thank god they just wanted to veg out in the back yard for two days, and play in the park across the street, and attempt to ride the BIG bike without training wheels, so I pretty much stayed home.

To recouperate my sore ass

Friday it was a walk to the grocery store, and that's as far as it got for getting off my ### ass, And here I am, it's 11:45 A.M. and I'm still in my jammies, in bed ......

And my ass is still sore.....they really should make better bike seats.


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: