Sunday, August 06, 2006

Long slog

I finally finished The Rebels of Ireland: by Edward Rutherfurd. I ended up paying $3.50 in overdue fees at the library for it. I usually pay about $20 a month in fees. But I've been really good lately. I enjoyed the book, just have a minor ciriticism of it. The ending just stopped. It's like he ran out of steam and had a deadline and HAD to finish the book. Although the ending was sort of Ok, at 2am it kinda sucked. I took the book everywhere I went determined to finish it. I can't believe it took me so long. Of coarse I really can't just read a book in one or two sitting any longer because of my migraines. This one just never seemed to end. If I had appointments downtown I took the C-train just so I could read THE BOOK. I came early to appointments just to read. But It's finally finished. I met a surprising number of people who were reading the first one or just finished reading it.
The next book on the pile is The Rent Collector. I read the first chapter and I don't know...it's a little overdone with it's ethnic religious base. It's a rather thin novel and I think If the continuous religiousness of it were somehow dimished, it wouldn't be more than a couple chapters. That's why I started reading Which brings me to you. ONe I read when I'm upstairs and other I read when I'm downstairs. Neither one are really astounding at this point. So I started a third one "She May Not Leave". Sadly it also hasn't grabbed my interest either.
I've been stirring, degassing and racking my wine. It looks good sitting on it's throne over there. I also made a batch of pickled bing cherries. I"m looking forward to those at Christmas time. Last time I made them (about 20 years ago-wow) they were a hit at a party. Every year since I plan on making more, but never seemed to. But I did this year.
I've been putting up shelves all over the basement and garage lately. I gotta say that since my hand is pretty much useless it's been difficult. I have to take breaks after screwing in two screws. The power drill is all of a sudden to heavy for me. I need to get one of those bits that predrills and then holds the screw. I think I saw them on a commercial once.
I finally sorted out most of my files and paperwork. I plugged the shredder in and ended up with bags and bags of shredded paper that I should have done before I moved instead of after.
There's a construction site of future condo's across the street and over a bit from us. And the other day we had such a wind storm I couldn't see anything out the front window. I couldn't believe it, this brown dirty ucky cloud of soil. My husband was upstairs sleeping with the window open. That night I went to bed and all I could smell was dirt. Everything was covered in this thin layer of dust. So the next day I took the drapes down and threw them in the washer, changed all the sheets, washed the blanket, and took out the vac. I gotta say I'm not sure if having a heppa vaccuum is such a good idea. It's frightening what that thing sucks up. I've been leary of going into my daughters room, who knows what lerks in there. Ugh.........it really needs to be vaccuumed, but I can't even see much of the floor. She keeps complaining that so many of her clothes are missing-well she need only to look down. Instead it's off to the store again.
Still sending out resumes with out much luck. Only two call backs and the ads were a little deceiving about what the position was. Don't you hate when they do that. I almost wanted to charge them $$$ for wasting my time. Not to mention parking fees, and gas to get there in the first place.

No comments: