Saturday, June 16, 2012

'mpanata di maiali

I have no idea what the translation to this is.

I googled it and something about breaded pork.

I'm only doing this so that some time in the future I can attempt to try to duplicate this as it's written in a mystery that I have just finished.

The Wings of the Sphinx - Andrea Camilleri There is usually so much food throughout the novels, it is driving me crazy.

I spend more time on google to figure out what the food is. So far google hasn't helped me in the translation of this particular recipe but luckily the author was kind enough to add the procedure.

"Poach a head of cauliflower in salted water, remove it when still slightly firm, and chop it into large chunks. Then season it in a skillet after you hjave sauteed a small onion, thinly sliced in olive oil in the same pan. In another pan, fry up a piece of fresh sausage, and the moment it turns golden cut it into small disks, no more than an inch wide, removing the skin.
 Add the cauliflower to the pan with the sausage bits and oil adding a few potatoes sliced into thin, transparent disks, some chopped black olives, salt and spices. Stir this assortment well. Knead some leavened bread dough into a broad, flat disk and mold thiks into a cake tin with a tall rim. Fill this with the mixture and cover with another round sheet of dough, kneading the edges together. Spread lard over the upper parts and put the tin into a very hot oven for about half an hour or so, remove it as soon as it turns golden brown"

I have been thinking of nothing else since I read this.....

update....

I found it yay yay yay

No comments: