Sunday, October 21, 2012

I'm hungry...what to eat-what to eat...

Zucchini Fritters with feta and dill



Makes about 16 large fritters or 25 small ones
4 zucchini (about 1 1/2 lb/750 g)
5 or 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped (save the dark green tops for the tomato salad)
9 oz (250 g) feta cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons dried dill
1 cup (120 g) flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, beaten
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
Greek or natural yogurt, to serve (optional)
Coarsely grate the zucchini using a box grater, food processor or mandoline slicer. Transfer to a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain in the sink for about 30 minutes to get rid of the excess water.
Put the chopped scallions in a bowl and crumble in the feta. Add the dill and flour and season well with salt and pepper. Gradually add the beaten egg and mix thoroughly before adding in the drained zucchini.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and drop heaped spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan (an ice cream scoop works well here), flattening them with the back of a spoon. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden, then transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve with dollop of Greek or natural yogurt, either hot from the pan or at room temperature.
It was damn good....though I only made half, but I did use two eggs. And I didn't salt and drain the zuc
I dumped the zucchini into a dish towel and squeezed the shit   liquid out of it into the sink. Much easier, even if you do the whole recipe, the dish towel tecnique can be done in batches. Also I used grape seed oil not Olive oil. And what's with the "save the green tops of scallions" ...I used all of it
I specially liked this cause 1. I had all the ingredients, 2. I had all the ingredients, and 3. I had all the ingredients.
Next time I will add some parmesan cheese or something a little sharper with the feta, (one can never have tooooo much cheese added) and maybe a shot of sriracha.  The yogurt I had on hand was greek with honey, It added a nice flavour.
Next time I will flatten them a little more as they fry up as well.
One of these days I might even level the damn stove.....It drives me.... in-f#cking-sane....whenever I have to pan fry.

They taste good cold too, would make a nice snack in the car on the way to somewhere---hungry.

No comments: