Monday, October 22, 2012

Quinoa Burger

Quinoa Burger

Yesterday...I made the zucchini feta dill thing, and noticed this quinoa burger.  So this morning I decided to give the quinoa burger patty / fritter a try.  
First I cooked the quinoa in veg broth, some butter and purple garlic mush ( that I still have leftover from thanksgiving). Then I added the other ingredients as per the recipe

rounded cups cooked quinoa (see note below for cooking instructions)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry)
3 eggs
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 green onions, including white parts
1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Except...I changed a few things. I had no cottage cheese so I sub'd about 1/4 cup sour cream...why?
I really don't know why....It was at the bottom of the containers and looked like the cottage cream containers, so I threw it in.  Why not
I didn't have any green onions, so I used half a diced onion. And since I already  cooked quinoa originally with a dollop of garlic mush. I didn't add any garlic powder. And I used 1/3 cup of flour...only because I read the comments from the original blog and the batter seemed a little "loose" so I added a little bit more flour. and 1/3 cup of flour is easier to measure that 3 tbsp, and I'm lazy.
and I used a medium zucchini and I didn't squeeze the liquid out because I didn't have a clean tea towel handy, and that's another reason I added a little bit more flour.
I used organic sunflower oil, because I ran out of grape seed oil the day before. And I don't like to waste my good real honest to goodness Olive Oil that has the required stamp of approval that is not a "product of Italy" , but rather comes from Spain and is actual real Olive Oil.... that said
At first I used an ice cream scoop to add the mixture to a frying pan, but noticed that the patty/fritter just wasn't "setting up" nice.  Kinda floppy and I had to use two spatulas to turn the thing over. It was a hassle, so the following batches I used a cookie scoop instead, and these patty/fritter co-operated much better, and were all round crunchier and cooked right through, and the smaller ones were better cold later also. 
So there you have it, my breakfast and lunch today Quinoa burger/fritter. 
The really sad part of the whole two days of breakfast, is the diminishing supply of tomatoes that are in the box under the window.  There are just dribs and drabs remaining.  I am going to have to start buying them soon.  Ughhhh not looking forward to it. I don't like having to wait til august next year for a tomato.

*oh yeah, I added about 1/2 cup crumbled feta, (just because I was too lazy to open the new package of cheddar cheese and the hunk that I had in the bag wasn't enough), also a shot of sirarche hot sauce and a couple shots of lea and perrins. .....I think that's it




No comments: