Thursday, November 22, 2012

Worst Vacation Ever

Theme Thursday...
Worst Vacation Ever....
waiting....for everyone


this was probably 5am and that bldg far centre is the one that blew up...the front of it

Well the actual "VACATION" was wonderful....
Just the two weeks prior to getting there....was a nightmare of gigantic proportion, It's amazing we can all sorta laugh about it now. It was actually 2 yrs ago - almost to the day --well yesterday would have been two years ago was the actual wedding "day".  Well actually it was Nov 24th - the marriage, but I remember it as the day before American thanksgiving.

Destination Wedding....
Mexico...
A year planning....
Let me actually count the ways things went wrong, I've never actually sat down and counted them.
Let's see if I can get them in order or ...."what can go wrong next"!!!!!

1) The first Bridesmaid went to Hawaii in June to celebrate her graduation from nursing and jumped off a cliff into and sandbar and shattered her leg. Therefore she couldn't start her first job cause she was in a cast for three months + and physio+ and she was too broke to afford the trip.  Then she actually started working 1 week before the trip date. So she had to cancel
2) Maid-of-honor had to cancel cause she couldn't get insurance cause she was passing a kidney-stone-from-hell a month before the trip date,  Pre - existing conditions....and all. She actually eventually passed the damn thing in April the following year. That's like being in labour for five months...cause I've done the labour thing wayyy toooo mannny timmmes and the passed a kidney stone wayyyy tooo mannny times...and they both suck.
3) In september when everyone had paid up the actual cost of the trip the tour company suddenly discovered they needed more $$$$. There was much swearing, and cussing from everyone.  Except me cause we didn't book with the group...My husband works for an airline and we booked alternative flights and  resort, cause it was way cheaper and we had credits that had to be used up etc. etc. etc.  Anyway we were supposed to save big time.....so we didn't book with the group.  And two other couples also booked with same airline as us because they had similar credits or deals where they worked. But we were supposed to all end up at the same resort and the same time etc. etc. etc
4) The RESORT blew - up....about a week before we were all supposed to get there....and MY ROOM BLEW UP specificially...... Yeah that resort, the one with the gas leak...The one were several people DIED
5) Accomodations with the "group"were still all a go, rooms were switched around, the wedding venue was changed to a different food source at the resort, cause that part was off limits now. But we were all still here so nobody new anything of what was going on cause nobody that was expected to go to the wedding actually ever were at this particular resort before.
6) The company WE booked with called us monday (we were scheduled to leave the following Sunday) after the resort blew up and said, there was no problem everything would be fine....blah blah blah....The resort called my daughter and the travel agency called my daughter and offered to change to another resort...there was alot of toooing and froooing and quessing and trauma for two days cause she had to make up her mind to change everything by wednesday.  But then it was decided that she would stay at this resort cause the other couples and us were with a different travel company and they wouldn't change our reservations to the one that were offered to her cause there was no room for us cause there were several other agencies in a mad rush to change the thousands of other reservations.  You can see the confusion here. And our company...the one my husband actually worked for.....kept saying there was no problem blah blah blah, we would be accomodated at the original resort even though our particular room was no longer available and the other two rooms where also toast....
7) I got a call from my credit card company that there was suspicious use of my card on the Monday before and they were cancelling my card...blah blah blah.....WTF  I had paid for everything with it, and was planning on using it to pay for other crap, so I actually paid $2500 over and above my limit so that there would be no problem, cause I was planning on paying for my daughters (the other one, not getting married) crap and our room were supposed to be paid seperate from the flight ....anyway there was about $7000 sitting on my card ....I was planning ahead....Expecting to use the card for everything...didn't want any surprises. AND the credit card co couldn't get me a new card for a week, So it would be delivered to me in Mexico by the wednesday during the week we were at the resort. "just call us when you get to the resort and  let us know your room # etc and it will be delivered to you"  I thought this was the stupidest thing ever.  But what could I do, this was Thursday, the thursday before the sunday that our flight left.  
8)Friday at 5:30 p.m. I get a call from OUR travel company...the one my husband works for.....and were informed our reservation was cancelled.  the flight was okay, the resort - no room ...AND THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO EXCEPT BOOK AT AN ALTERNATIVE RESORT ....this was after calling me all FUCKING week and telling me there would be no problem....stop worrying...blah blah blah.  This resort was ...I have no idea where...never been there, ....somewhere .....60-100 km away....could have been on Mars for all I cared....
9) what to do...what to do....one of the other couples that were in the same boat as us called me and said they called travelocity or the other one, I can't remember now and they got the room through them, but kept the flight the same. According to whatever company they used there were many rooms available.
10) called the stupid ass company we were booking through and was told "sorry we are moving everyone with us to a different resort" no options blah blah blah.   My head was exploding around this time.  I called the resort and it took forever to actually talk to someone who understood english and they suggested I call travelocity or someone else,...i forget now who it was....(it's like labour, you forget the effing pain after, this was like that--lots of little crap like names, I have forgotten ) So I did and there were rooms a plenty for us and my other daughter....Called the company (the one my husband worked for) and said forget it, im not going to the other resort, cancel my reservation for the resort, keep the flight. " We will credit your card" blah blah blah, on monday, or you can come and get the $$$ on monday.  This was Friday after 6 by now and there was no way in hell I was getting anything before monday from them.  
11) I had no money....it was all on the stupid ass credit card that was useless to me until wednesday. I couldn't book thed resort(the one we were originally suppposed to go to...the same one as the stupid ass wedding) and the stupid add company that had my money and wouldn't lift a finger to help me wouldn't give me anything till monday.  Keep the flight...ditch the room with them.  Still really pissed about the inability for anyone with this company to refund my $$$ before monday.  I live right next door to the head office pracitically.  No excuse for this.   I even got a call back from a "supervisor" cause I  was so arguementative with some stupid-ass employee on the phone. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. " I" "me" .."the one being unreasonable" was expected be remorseful!!!!
12) Called my mother.....in tears.....her card was maxed out already-this trip etc etc.....
13) Called my sister....in tears - Take lots of pics for me, cause I WON'T BE AT MY OWN DAUGHTERS WEDDING....everyone will be there except us....She gave me her card info to book my room on-line.  I was so crazy at this point - I didn't realize that all they online company wanted was a functioning card#, cause I was paying for the actualy stupid ass room after we were finished...it's just that my card# wasn't functioning.  I could have used anyones card at this point.  Just the deposit was on someone else's card. But my mind was ....elsewhere 
14) at this point I was expecting the plane to blowup.  I had to take meds just to get on the damn thing. 
15) There was a blizzard the night before we were all scheduled to leave and it was a nightmare getting to the stupid ass airport.

The plane took off and landed......we all managed to get our luggage and ended up at the resort.....together.
My card was delivered on wednesday (im still amazed at that) and the weather was wonderful, the wedding was wonderful.  

One of the grooms-men is a diabetic and all his insulin stuff was stolen from his room literally 10 minutes after he left it, 1/2 hr after he registered and left the room.  He had to drive all  over cancun ----miles away from the stupid ass resort....on his own dime....I might add...in a taxi driving all over looking for insulin.  The resort manager just shrugged his shoulders.  Couldn't believe it. On wednesday the resort managed to find his stuff, but why would he use any of it now?  After that everyone used their respective safes for everything. 

The wedding went off (still married) the g'kids threw up on the plane all the way home.  Thanks to seperate bookings, we were on a different plane.  And we got home a day earlier than everyone else so we picked up all the haggered g'kids, bride and groom.  They were very glum....all that barf....i guess.

16) a month later.....I opened my cell bill and hit the roof.
17) my cell phone, my husbands cell phone,..my other daughters cell phone are all on a family plan of sorts and there was over $5000 on the bill in a 24hr period.  Had to fight with them for a month cause I changed the stupid plan to just texting before we left.  So they had to eat the calls. All the calls made with our cell signal were done from 2am to 6 am, to other parts of mexico
18) the call that I made to my credit card co lasted an hour and probably 20+ people that I was moved from one to another with, didn't know what I was talking about, or it wasn't there department, or that case no doesn't make sense. finally that was sorted out. I missed the "welcome to" meeting everyone else went to with the tour organizer where they were told to "come use our phone line if you need to" blah blah blah, cause I was on the stupid pay phone in the lobby, right next to where the stupid "welcome to...meet and greet" was happening. Because I was supposed to CALL AS SOON AS YOU GET A ROOM #, SO THEY HAD SOMEWHERE TO SEND THE REPLACEMENT CART. Grrrrr. $300 added to my room for the stupid phone call from the pay phone.  

Its a good thing the booze was free, well paid in advance..... Cause everyone was doing their best to get their money out of that.

The food was excellent, beef from argentina is the best. I still have fond memories of the ingredible steak I really didn't want to have in the first place...not being a big steak fan....but ...wow...I was sucking on the bone.  

The weather was wonderful

The vacation itself was wonderful after everything was sorted out to actually all wind up at the same place.  The couple that chose to stay at a different resort had to pay almost 500 to come into the resort they should have been at in the first place for the day to have access to everything. But they knew that was going to happen and the resort everyone got transfer to was apparently better.

The resort was vertually empty.  Cause everyone transfered out because of the gas situation and the fact that nobody would confirm exactly what caused the place to blow in the first place.  So there were no line-ups for restaurants, meals, or anything else.  The staff was everywhere, vying for tips....at the ready constantly, we all were very well taken care of. 


Just as an aside......when planning a destination wedding - make a point of having a budget for attendants to be $50 or under, cause some attendants will end up canceling trips...and no one wants a dress that costs an arm and a leg ....and can't wear again.  And that's another thing---a beach wedding requires BEACH ATTIRE...specially SHOES and don't fight with your mother when she says" no mermaid dress...duh....it will be covered in sand".   My daughter wanted a mermaid dress with a tail/trail....whatever.  Finally settled for no tail..... Flip Flops people ......  My daughter finally found a nice purple pair of thongs/flip flops, instead of the high heals she originally wanted.

And when your mother offers...."just go with your friends, leave the g'kids with us---we can do a family celebration later, another time-----why do you want to go with little kids? "  I offered this way back in jan/feb and pleaded with her....."You will be sorry"..."Mexico"..."little kids" ....
No..no way ...we had to be there.  How many things have to happen to your mothers resort and her specific room before maybe someone should get a HINT.

When they all came home....and about two days later after all the puking ended and the kids were back to normal ...my daughter says to me "we should have listened to you and just gone with our friends, and left the kids here"

Soooo the maid-on-honor with the kidney stone...moved to australia after meeting some guy in bazil from australia.  And now she is planning a destination wedding in Hawaii and wants my g'daughter as the flower girl.  And is offering to pay for me to come to babysit the g'kids again just so she can have my g'daughter as her flower girl.  But my daughter has learned her lesson and refuses to take kids to hawaii...and will leave them with us.  There is a royal battle going on about this between the two of them.  But I don't know what she is thinking...why would she want us there anyway ...the new bride that is....Cause we seem to have disaster written all over us.   Now that I think of it---it's not so much the vacation plans that go crap, it's every wedding that we've ever gone to that ends in a disaster of some kind or other

More about that at a later day.....
But I refuse to plan a vacation...to hawaii....or plan on attending another wedding, that is part of a vacation.
The only vacation that turns out for me is...last minute....no plans...spur of the minute kinda thing.

going to the beach with auntie 

must be monday...all that white skin

No comments: