Tuesday, December 04, 2012

I went to the library today and got my haul of books...and several were cookbooks
The Epicurious Cookbook
was the first one up....
I enjoy cookbooks that should be read cover to cover
One of the firt recipe to catch my eye was
Belgian Leek Tart with aged goat cheese

The recipe called for a tart pan with removable bottom....but since I only had a rectangle tart pan with removable bottom, that's what I used.  That might have been why the pie/tart/quiche wasn't all that thick. (Which was preferrable anyway...to me - Doesn't get soggy and cooks better anyway) I used pillsbury pie crust...the ones that come two rolls in a box.  The best invention since....I don't know when - but that's what I always use and they are very good. I just had to roll it out a bit more into a rectagle.  Of coarse by the time I toke the crust out of the oven to precook, I've never used this particular pan before for anything let alone a crust and by the time I got it out of the oven and on the cooling rack It cracked and shifted and ended up in the garbage...so it's a good thing that there are two crust rolls in each box.  Cause I had to redo it.

I used two leeks for the leek confit and two baby zucchini (grated raw).  I added everything into a mixing bowl (milk, cream, leek confit, zucchini, two whole eggs, 3/4 cup of crumbled up feta, I had some weird goat cheese that I purchased on sale so I threw that in, about 1/3 cup in little bits. and 1/2 cup grated cheddar.salt pepper, and some nutmeg)and mixed the hell out of it, and then realized when I read the directions in the book, that I shouldn't have done that.....but it came out real good. So no biggy

After the second crust was nice and brown I poured the mixture into the pan and threw it in the oven for about 1hr....give or take. i had to cover the pie crust edges with foil.

I served it with some ceasar salad and it was a nice veggie dinner.  I've been picking at it all evening.  I doubt there will be any for breakfast tomorrow. It was t-a-s-t-y!!
I don't know why I have never made a leek quiche before.  But this leek confit turned out very good.
There was something missing though....maybe next time I will add some bacon crumbled into it.

All in all, a great dinner and i copied over several recipes ....most of which are on-line or easy enough to copy over from copy and paste program of recipe saving.  I will def make this again.  The G'kids will probably really like this as well, though i will have to peel the zucchini cause they always get their noses out of joint with "what's that green stuff"

I think I will have to go and cut off another piece.....

No comments: